NOTE: This log is out of date. I haven't been logging workouts in the last few months -- I leave this old log here purely for information's sake.
I don't have a specific workout plan or goals. I just try to have fun staying active. I try to do a mixture of sprints, longer runs or hikes, strength exercises and explosive movements.
6.02: Weights workout - bench press, barbell row, dumbbell squats, chinups.
6.04: Bike tour of Portland, slow 3-hour tour that included many stops.
6.07: Weights workout - deadlft, farmer's carry, dips, chins.
6.09: Weights workout - bench press, barbell row, shoulder press, chinups.
A variety of pullups, sprints, and knee raises from pullup bar throughout the day.
6.12: 15 minute workout w/ Eva: rounds of 10 jump lunges, one-armed pushups (2 each arm), 10 half burps, & one-armed pushups (2 each arm), repeat for as many rounds as possible in 15 minutes. We each did 10 rounds.
May 2011 (not complete):
- 5.01 -5.03: More bodyweight exercises & running. Pretty much recovered from back injury now.
- 5.04: A 90-min run into the desert mountains in Las Vegas.
- 5.06: Walked.
- 5.07: Walked.
- 5.08: Walked.
- 5.09: 2-hour run along Land's End and Ocean Beach with Scott.
- 5.10: Walked.
- 5.11: Walked for more than an hour to the Giants game with Justin.
- 5.12: Weights workout - bench press, barbell row, dumbbell squats, chinups.
- 5.13: Walked.
- 5.17: Weights workout - deadlifts, variety of other lifts.
- 5.19: Weights workout - bench press, barbell row, dumbbell squats, chinups.
- 5.21: Several hours of basketball with Randy & Patrick!
- 5.22: Walked.
- 5.23: 6-hour hike/trail run with Oleg in Marin Headlands, Golden Gate Bridge.
- 5.24: Weights workout - deadlft, farmer's carry.
- 5.25: 2-hour run in Golden Gate Park with Scott.
- 5.26: Weights workout - bench press, barbell row, dumbbell squats, chinups.
- 5.28: Weights workout - deadlft, farmer's carry, dips, chins.
April 2011 (not complete):
- 4.01 - 4.10: More bodyweight exercises, walking, growing stronger after back injury last month.
- 4.11 - 4.30: Lots and lots of walking, lots of pushups, other bodyweight exercises while on vacation.
- 3.02: Started a 6-week strength training plan. Strength workout A: Deadlifts (3x5), bench press (5x5), bent-over rows (5x5), curls (3x5). C2 rowing machine (2x500m, 2 min rest in between).
- 3.03: Sprint intervals - 20 seconds all-out sprint, 10 seconds rest, repeat for 8 intervals.
- 3.04: Strength workout B: Squats (3x5), shoulder press (5x5), weighted dips (3x5), weighted chinups (3x5). C2 rowing machine (2x500m, 2 min rest in between).
- 3.05: Short hike with kids up Mt. Sutro.
- 3.07: Strength workout A: Deadlifts (3x5), bench press (5x5), bent-over rows (5x5), barbell curls (5x5). C2 rowing machine (2x500m, 2 min rest in between).
- 3.08: Sprint intervals: 1 min run, 1 min rest, 1 min run, 50 sec rest, 1 min run, 40 sec rest, 1 min run, 30 sec rest, 1 min run, 20 sec rest, 1 min run. Whew!
- 3.09: Strength workout B: Squats (4x5), shoulder press (5x5), weighted dips (3x5), weighted chinups (3x5). C2 rowing machine (3x500m, 2 min rest in between).
- 3.07: Strength workout A: Deadlifts (3x5), bench press (5x5), bent-over rows (5x5), barbell curls (3x5). Hurt my back a bit w/ the deadliest -- need to work on form.
- 3.08 - 3.18: Rested because of injured back.
- 3.19 - 3.31: A variety of light bodyweight exercises & walking, for the rest of the month, to get back into it.
- 2.02: Hiked for about 3 hours, including up to the top of Twin Peaks. Included a bit of running.
- 2.03: 50 kettlebell swings (53lb), 10 hill sprints, 50 kettlebell swings.
- 2:04: Weight workout with squats, benchpress, leg press, curls.
- 2.05: Short run.
- 2.06: Bodyweight exercises: pushups, pullups, dips, plus some dumbbell curls.
- 2.07: Crossfit workout: Run 400m, 21 deadlifts (155 lbs), box jumps, run 400m, 15 power cleans (115 lbs), burps, run 400m, 9 front squats (95 lbs), pullups. Repeat entire sequence for a 2nd round. Later, hiked for almost 90 minutes, including some hill sprints.
- 2.08: Sprint interval workout: 30 seconds of all-out running, 20 seconds of rest, repeat for 12 intervals. Super hard.
- 2.09: Hiked with Oleg all day -- covered 13 major San Francisco hills! The hike took us about 8 hours, covered 17.4 miles. Whew.
- 2.10-2.12: Forgot to log workouts!
- 2.13: SF Beer Run - a 5-mile run followed by beer drinking. Lots of fun. Did a nice pace though I didn't push myself too hard (about 8:15/mile pace).
- 2.14: Started a pullup program: Five sets of pullups (11-8-7-7-6).
- 2.15: Five sets of pullups (11-8-7-7-6).
- 2.16: Five sets of pullups (11-8-7-7-6).
- 2.18: Five sets of pullups (11-8-7-7-6).
- 2.19: Five sets of pullups (11-8-7-7-6).
- 2.21: Five sets of pullups (11-8-7-7-6).
- 2.22: Five sets of pullups (11-8-7-7-6).
- 2.23-2.26: Took a break due to pain in my shoulder joint. Will resume pullups when pain resides, but only every other day.
- 2.21: Played freeze tag, soccer, frisbee & football with the kids in the park.
- 2.28: Five sets of pullups (12-9-7-7-7) plus some dips and dumbbell curls.
- 1.01: 3 sets of 10 chinups.
- 1.02: Rest day. Rode lightly in the park with kids.
- 1.03: First day of Crossfit intro class -- did a short workout of 3 rounds 5 double-unders, 10 pushups & 15 squats, then later a harder workout of 400m run, 10 burps, 15 box jumps, 20 wall balls, 25 kettlebell swings & 30 sit-ups.
- 1.05: Second day of Crossfit intro class -- worked on squats & presses (light loads), then did a short but intense workout -- 5 minutes of burpees. I did 60.
- 1.06: Rested, walked a lot.
- 1.07: Third day of Crossfit intro class -- worked on front squats and push press (light loads), then did workout that consisted of 30 kettlebell swings (35 lbs), a 400m sprint, and 30 dumbbell squat thrusters (25 lbs). Hard!
- 1.08: Did a bodyweight workout with Eva & Chloe: Tabata intervals of high knees (20 sec intense repetitions, 10 sec rest, repeat 8 times); 30 reps of a combo called leg lift, star crunch & butt lift (ab exercise); Tabata intervals of low jacks (like jumping jacks w/ knees bent); side plank lifts (25 reps on each side); Tabata intervals of scissors (jumps with legs going back and forth); another ab combo called one leg bridge, leg lift & toe touch (25 reps each side).
- 1.10: Another Crossfit workout today. We worked on the overhead squat and push press jerk, with a tough workout that included 5 presses (with a barbell), 10 push presses, 15 push press jerks, and 7 burpees -- repeat that 3 times.
- 1.12: Fifth Crossfit workout day. Worked on the deadlift, working up our max deadlift (I got to 295 but felt I could do a little more). Then we did an intense workout: a Tabata mashup of air squats and pushups -- one round is 20 sec squats, 10 sec rest, 20 sec pushups, 10 sec rest -- repeat 8 times. Keep track of how many reps of each you do in each round, remembering only your lowest number for each exercise -- your score is your lowest round of each (mine was 15 squats, 8 pushups).
- 1.13: Three hours of walking/hiking today with Oleg (went over Golden Gate Bridge).
- 1.14: Sixth and last day of Crossfit basics class. Sore from Wednesday! Worked on the clean/power clean and the snatch/power snatch. Wasn't a hard workout but was good.
- 1.15: Workout with Eva & Chloe: 10 rounds of 1-arm sandbag or kettlebell swings and burpees. First round is 10 rounds of 1-arm swings for each arm followed by 20 burpees. Each round has 1 fewer burpee, so there's 11 burpees on the last round. Time challenge, I finished in about 21:50.
- 1.16: Run through Golden Gate Park with Jason, a new blogger in SF from Ottawa. Ran about 1 hr 15 mins, or maybe 7-8 miles.
- 1.17: Short Crossfit workout - 21 one-arm kettlebell swings with each arm, 42 pushups, 15 one-arm KB swings each arm, 30 pushups, 9 KB swings each arm, 18 pushups. For time.
- 1.19: Tough Crossfit workout: four Tabata style rounds each of wall balls (throw 20-lb medicine ball to about 10-ft mark on wall), box jumps, push presses with 40-lb dumbbells, sumo deadlift high pulls with 75-lb barbell, rowing machine. The Tabata-style rounds are 20 sec of intense work with 10 sec rest, repeat 4 times. After 4 rounds of an exercise, run 400-meters, then go into the next exercise.
- 1.20: Rode bike about 4 miles including some hills.
- 1.21: Exhausting Crossfit workout: 30 burpee pullups, 50 box jumps, 30 deadlifts, 50 one-arm kettlebell swings, 30 front squats, 50 lines of prowlers (pushing a weighted sled).
- 1.23: Dips, pullups, dumbbell curls throughout the day.
- 1.24: Circuit workout w/ Eva & Chloe - squat w/ one-leg jump (10 reps each leg), this weird sandbag lunge & row (20 reps), cross-legged burpees (cross ankles when you do the pushup, 20 reps), snowboarders (20 reps), . Five rounds of the whole circuit. Took me about 34 minutes. Later, hiked an hour or so w/ my mom & the kids.
- 1.25: Hard Crossfit workout: 50 seconds each - rowing machine, 95-lb barbell clusters (clean w/ squat thrusts), burpee prowlers (do a burpee, push the prowler sled 5 yards, repeat). Repeat for 5 rounds total. So tired.
- 1.26: Workout with Eva: circuits of core exercises, 10 minutes total.
- 1.27: Crossfit workout: 10 deadlifts (215 lbs), 2 boxjumps w/ 30lb dumbbells, run 400m, 8 deadlifts (215 lbs), 4 boxjumps w/ 30lb dumbbells, run 400m, 6 deadlifts (215 lbs), 6 boxjumps w/ 30lb dumbbells, run 400m, 4 deadlifts (215 lbs), 8 boxjumps w/ 30lb dumbbells, run 400m, 2 deadlifts (215 lbs), 10 boxjumps w/ 30lb dumbbells, run 400m.
- 1.29: 3 rounds of 53-lb kettlebell swings (25), 20 pushups, 10 pullups. Later I played hard basketball games for about an hour.
- 1.31: 21 deadlifts (205 lbs), row 400m, 18 deadlifts, row 400m, 15 deadlifts, row 400m, 12 deadlifts, row 400m. Later I hiked for a couple hours, including up a really high peak.
- 12.01: Walked about 10 blocks with a very heavy backpack (strength exercise), then sprinted up hills without the backpack, did some chinups, then raced my 14-yr-old son doing pushups — he had to get to 50 while I had to get to 100. He beat me, barely!
- 12.02: Ran/walked up a long hill, carrying heavy sandbag. Then alternated hill sprints with sandbag squat-thrusters. Walked back down the hill with sandbag. Also did short bike later (3 miles).
- 12.03: Three sets of kettlebell swings: 25, 35, 50.
- 12.04: Walking with family.
- 12.05: Walking, running. Alternated sets of 15 pushups w/ 15 box jumps (total of 75 box jumps, 100 pushups).
- 12.06: Walked in morning, evening. Ran w/ Scott in Presidio for an hour, including some sprints up the Lyon Street steps.
- 12.07: Biked 13.25 miles, through Golden Gate Park, Great Highway (along the beach), Sloat Avenue, 20th Ave, Kirkham and back home.
- 12.08: Didn't do too much today. Ran about a mile, hard.
- 12.09: Short but intense workout: 60 rounds of: 10 high-knees plus drop flat on the ground (on your stomach and chest) and jump back up (that's one round, repeat 60 times). Also walked about half mile with 50 pounds of dumbbells in a farmer's carry, did some pullups and walked a couple miles. Later ran a few miles, including some steep hills, with my sister!
- 12.10: Three circuits of: 20 pushups, 10 bicep curls, 50 kettlebell swings with 25-lb kettlebell. Later walked, ran and sprinted throughout the day.
- 12.11: Run with Kat & Eva, about an hour.
- 12.13: Lifted dumbbells (curls and shoulder presses), did 150 pushups (spread out in sets of 25), walked all afternoon.
- 12.14: 300 jumping lunges in 10 minutes 22 seconds.
- 12.15: Sore from yesterday's lunges! Did 75 pushups, plus some pullups, and walked around a lot.
- 12.16: Still sore from Tuesday's lunges! Did 175 pushups today, plus dumbbell curls and shoulder presses, some pullups, and a lot of walking.
- 12.17: Run with my sister Kat - trails and hills.
- 12.18: Mostly a rest day, though I did walk for about 90 minutes with a few sprints and carrying heavy things.
- 12.19: Ran for an hour with Kat and Eva, including a break to do some pullups/chinups. Also did 225 pushups.
- 12.20: Ran for more than an hour with Kat and Eva in the Presidio, including running up the steep steps of Lyon Street a couple times.
- 12.21: Ridiculously exhausting snow workout: built a snow fort with the kids, running and rolling huge snow mounds and carrying them, then having a snowball fight -- lasted several hours and left me sore and very very exhausted.
- 12.22: Went on a run with Kat and Eva, doing some hill sprints and bodyweight intervals: burpees, planks, jump squats, Hindu pushups and mountain climbers.
- 12.23: Mostly rested - sore from the snow workout on Tuesday! Did a single set of 50 kettlebell swings with my new 53-lb kettlebell.
- 12.24: Did three sets of 50 kettlebell swings (53-lb kettlebell), spread out during the day. Also did some pushups and chinups, walked and sprinted a bit.
- 12.25: Did 100 pushups (in sets of 25). Ran 2 miles fairly hard. Played a lot of ping pong with the family at Christmas.
- 12.27: Walked most of the day -- pretty far. Also did various exercises and sprints during the walk.
- 12.29: 175 pushups, 30 pullups (3 sets). Carried heavy box a few blocks, walked most of afternoon with heavy backpack.
- 12.30: Kettlebell swings with 53-lb. kettlebell - 3 sets of 50. Also did some curls and shoulder presses with dumbbells. Walked much of the afternoon.
- 12.31: 75 pushups.
- 11.01: Long hike with Oleg: Buena Vista Park, Mt. Sutro, and Twin Peaks, about 3 hours.
- 11.02: Trail run up some mountains, ending, about an hour, more than half that time up hill.
Also pushups and lifted a 35-lb kettlebell a little. Then went to the park with the kids and jumped around on the monkeybars with them, doing some pullups. Then my 14-year-old son and I did a hard conditioning circuit on the soccer field — sprints and pushups and ball-passing drills.
- 11.03: 20-minute track workout with Eva: Run 2 minutes; Pushups 2 minutes (rest only as needed)
6 sprint intervals – 30 secs w/ 45 secs rest; Planks 2 minutes; Jack-knife crunches 2 minutes (crunches where you reach your legs and hands up in the air, then lower them to w/in 6 inches of the ground and repeat); Shadow-boxing (high intensity pace) 4 1/2 minutes.
- 11.04: Trail run w/ Scott Dinsmore, up Mt. Sutro and Twin Peaks, very hilly, over an hour.
- 11.05: Various kettlebell lifts plus pushups, all in a circuit with no rest. Only last for about 8 minutes.
- 11.07: Short, slow run w/ my daughter.
- 11.08: Sprinted up a hill w/ 11-yr-old daughter on my back, racing with my 14-yr-old son, then raced my family to the library — except they were on a train and I was on foot - probably 1.5 miles running. Later did pullups at the playground, then touchdowns at the park with Eva. Played soccer for 10-15 minutes with kids. Then raced my daughter, then walked home with my son on my shoulders.
- 11.09: Ran through Golden Gate Park's trails for over an hour, maybe about 6-7 miles.
- 11.10: Kettlebell swings w/ Tim Ferriss, plus pullups, dumbbell presses, dips.
- 11.11: Walked.
- 11.12: Hard workout at the track with Eva, with a kettlebell and some heavy sandbags: 20 sandbag squats; run 400m; 20 kettlebell swings; run 400m; 20 sandbag squat thrusters; run 400m; 20 burpees; run 400m; 20 box jumps; run 400m; 20 pushups (finished in 16 mins). Also carried the heavy sandbags to and from home on my shoulders -- 15-20 minutes of heavy carrying. Later walked with Eva and the kids for a couple hours, sometimes carrying the little ones on my shoulders.
- 11.14: Walked all over with Eva & the kids (of course carrying them on my shoulders sometimes), going up hills, running sometimes. Also did a bunch of pullups on tree branches at various times.
- 11.15: 4-hour hike with my friend Oleg in Presidio.
- 11.16: Hiked w/ Eva & kids around town for a couple hours, including up a mountain, often carrying the little ones on my shoulders.
- 11.21: 100 pushups w/ my son.
- 11.23: Walked more than 10 miles, w/ some hill sprints. Later did 100-pushup challenge in 5 minutes, plus some kettlebell lifts.
- 11.24: Walked for a couple hours with Eva & the kids, including sprints, carrying them on my shoulders, using them as weights (I lift them from the ground to above me, then repeat a few times), and some pullups.
- 11.25: Short hike, plus played on some slides and hills with my extended family. We raced and climbed and sprinted.
- 11.26-30: Rest week.
Oct 2010 (not complete):
- 10.01-22: Didn't log workouts.
- 10.23: Did a mixture of things – some sprints, plus a lot of walking with my family (often carrying one of the kids).
- 10.24: Gym w/ daughter Chloe - bicep curls, lat pulldowns, bench press, leg curls, quad press, sit-ups, pullups, a few other exercises.
- 10.25: Trail run through Presidio w/ Scott Dinsmore, about 8 miles.
- 10.27: Did things throughout the day: sprints; walking; pushups; pullups; playing soccer w/ the kids; lifting the kids in the air, carrying them on my shoulders and running up hills.
- 10.28: Walked to World Series game, Giants' beautiful AT&T Park, about 1 hr 20 mins.
- 10.29: Walked/ran to the grocery store (not the one near my house), which took about 25 minutes. There were lots of steep hills and I sprinted up them. Then walked/ran back home, another 25 minutes, but this time with a heavy, full backpack full of groceries.
- 10.30: Went to the park with the kids and worked my butt off playing with them. Ran around hard playing frisbee — really hard. Did pullups and climbed on the monkeybars. Played tag and ran hard, jumping and climbing and pulling myself up. Sprinted. Jumped some more.
- 10.31: Walked a lot with the family, all over town. Also ran up some stairs a few times and did some pushups.
Sept 2010 (not complete):
- 9.01: 5 rounds of: 10 85-lb thrusters & 10 pushups. Took me just under 15 minutes. Eva did on her own, 16 minutes.
- 9.03: Rounds of 10, 8, 6, 4, & 2 of: deadlift (185lbs), bench press (two 45lb dumbells), squat cleans (95lbs).
- 9.06: 40 walking lunges, 20 pushups, 5 burpees, 15 clap pushups, 5 burpees, 10 chestslap pushups, 5 burpees, 5 fingertip pushups, 40 walking lunges, 15 pushups, 5 burpees, 10 clap pushups, 5 burpees, 10 chestslap pushups, 5 burpees, 5 fingertip pushups. Couldn't do full clap or chestslap pushups though.
- 9.08: 15 Burpees; 800m Run; 15 Burpees; 800m Run; 15 Burpees. No rest between exercises. Did it in 10:23, Eva did it in 17:43.
- 9.11: 130 pushups; 10 kettlebell snatches with each arm (25lb kettlebell).
- 9.12-9:30: Didn't log workouts.
- 8.02: tabatas with hindu squats, hindu pushups, burpees, and jump squats. With Eva, Maia & Seth.
- 8.05: 5 rounds of: run 400 meters followed by 15 burpees (Eva did 10 burpees). No rest in between rounds.
- 8.07: burpees, pullups, & running on Manhattan beach.
- 8.12: Two tabata rounds - first hill sprints, followed immediately by bottom-to-bottom squats. With Eva, in Buena Vista park.
- 8.14: 15 Burpees; 800m Run; 15 Burpees; 800m Run; 15 Burpees. No rest between exercises. With Eva.
- 8.16: Complete as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of: 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats. Completed 10 rounds in the 20 minutes. Did it in playground at Buena Vista park, with a hill run before.
- 8.18: 5 rounds of 10 reps 95-lb thrusters and 10 pushups, only rest when needed. Had to drop the weight down to 75-lbs towards the end of the 4th round.
- 8.20: 15 rounds for distance of: Sprint 20 seconds, Rest 40 seconds. Start each round at previous round's end point. Post your total distance: 1600m. With Eva.
- 8.23: Rounds of 25, 20, 15 and 10 of: burpees, box jumps (on a woodchip hill), log flips. Did it in about 20 mins. With Eva. We subbed the log flips for toes to bar because we didn't have a bar.
- 8.25: Five rounds of 30 jump & touch (a mark 12 inches above my tiptoe reach), 25 squats, 20 situps, 15 pushups, 10 pullups, for time. My time was 27:45. In playground on Alma St. Note to self: bring water next time!
- 8.27: 400-meter walking lunges . Did it in 20:12, and Eva did it in 22:00!