what i'm learning
I'm always learning something new. Sometimes too many things at once. Here's a list of what I'm learning right now, as of Feb. 2012.
- Spanish. Still at the very beginning stage.
- Meditation. Have been doing this off and on for years, but I've been doing it for a few months now, every day.
- Breadmaking. Have made a few basic recipes with some success. Am now making my own wild yeast starter, and will try tougher recipes. Am also learning to cook pasta from scratch.
- Wine. Each month, Eva and I have been exploring a new kind of wine. Last month, we did Napa Valley reds, with a focus on cabs, and took a trip to Napa in January. In February, we have been exploring pinot noirs from Sonoma.
- War and Peace. I love to read. I love the Russians. I started Tolstoy's War and Peace in December, but am only halfway through right now.
- Building muscle. I don't normally focus on building muscle, but have started a 14-week hypertrophy program as an experiment. Just three full-body workouts a week, lots of rest, lots of calories, lots of protein.
- My business. Recently created the Zen Habits Premium Membership, am experimenting with ways to best teach things to people, including webinars, mini-courses, videos and more.
A rough schedule of my learning each day (it's very flexible and changes most days):
- Morning: Meditate, read, write/create, workout/yoga/stretch.
- Afternoon: Language, code, read.
- Evening: Bake/cook, language, wine.
Some other things I've been learning in recent months:
- Neapolitan pizza.
- San Francisco, by exploring by foot.
- Fat loss.
- Wordpress themes, CSS.
- Book publishing.
- Squats & deadlifts.